As CT and the nation continue on an economic decline, it is essential that government and business leaders take every opportunity to preserve and protect our economic base. Predictions of increased unemployment and the devastating effects it has on people and their families must be minimized to the fullest extent possible. Decisions made now are likely to have impacts lasting into the next decade and beyond. It is important that our state government leaders be aware of potential impacts their decisions may have as they prepare to deal with income shortfalls, balancing the state budget and preserving the quality of life in CT.
As spending reductions are considered it is vitally important that funding for tourism marketing on statewide and regional levels be preserved. Here’s why:
• Culture and tourism activities account for over $14 billion in CT economic activity each year.
• 170,000 jobs – 10% of the CT labor force – $9.4 billion of personal income – $1.7 billion of state and local revenues depend on culture and tourism.
• Many employees whose jobs depend on the culture and tourism industry are the most vulnerable in a declining economy. Losing their jobs will increase the demand and cost for other state and local support services.
• Quality of life in CT is rated among the best in the US. Quality of life based on our cultural, historic and entertainment opportunities, attracts people and businesses who select CT above other states. Preserving our quality of life through our investment in culture and tourism is a key to rebuilding our economic future.
• Numerous state, regional and national studies show that, unless an investment is made to sustain the culture and tourism economy, it will decline rapidly. In the past, $9.30 in net state and local revenue was leveraged by each $1.00 invested.
• For the past 15 years, CT has invested millions of dollars in the culture and tourism infrastructure. Without support many of these organizations and institutions are likely to fail and thereby negating the investments previously made.
We must all work at preserving and protecting the building blocks of CT’s economic future by supporting and preserving tourism marketing on a statewide and regional level. We ask for your support, please go to www.tourism4ct.org to sign a petition that shows your agreement that Tourism Works for CT.
Mystic Country, CT