In today’s economy, more and more people are opting for staycations – visiting local attractions and rediscovering the wonders of their own backyard, in an effort to save money. This is a great time to experience some of our favorite, affordable, summer spots and annual events.
Many of the top summer attractions are under $10 a person, including Fort Trumbull State Park and Ocean Beach Park in New London, the Children’s Museum of SECT in Niantic, Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center in Mystic, Florence Griswold Museum in Old Lyme, Slater Memorial Museum in Norwich and the Old Lighthouse Museum and Capt. Nathaniel Palmer House in Stonington. For an action packed family outing, catch a game with the CT Defenders or CT Sun, both offer ticket prices starting under 10 bucks!
And, what can be better than fun for free? In Mystic Country you can visit the Historic Ship Nautilus, Fort Griswold State Park and Bluff Point State Park & Coastal Reserve in Groton and the Custom House Maritime Museum in New London, for free. Listen to great live music all summer long at free concert series in Norwich, Colchester, Olde Mistick Village and Esker Point Beach. Or, take a step back in time with Ocean Beach Park’s weekly Cruise Nights, classic car show, which is always free to the public.
Mystic Seaport, Mystic Aquarium and Olde Mistick Village recently launched the Mystic Pass Card, which gives discounted admission to both attractions, significant discounts on hotels, restaurants and shopping, a free T-shirt and a free fountain drink at each attraction. The pass card is $49 per adult and is over $250 in value.
The summer season is jam packed with great events. Here are some of the annual favorites:
• July 10-13: North Stonington’s Agricultural Fair, www.northstoningtonfair.org
• July 11-13: SailFest & Fireworks Extravaganza, New London Waterfront, www.sailfest.org
• July 25 & 26: Midsummer Festival, Old Lyme, www.florencegriswoldmuseum.org
• July 26 & 27: Stonington’s 54th Annual Blessing of the Fleet, www.stoningtonblessing.com
• August 9 & 10: Mystic Outdoor Art Festival, Historic Downtown Mystic, www.mysticchamber.org
• August 16 & 17: Mystic Seaport’s Antique Marine Exposition, www.mysticseaport.org
• August 21-24: Schemitzun, Feast of Green Corn & Dance, North Stonington, www.schemitzun.com
Log onto www.mysticcountry.com to find out more about these offerings and to start planning your Staycation.
Mystic Country, CT